Sausage & Ale Casserole
Preparation time: less than 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins to 1 hour
Overall cooking time: 1 hour 30 mins
1 tbsp sunflower oil
12 Bert Fowlie pork sausages
2 medium onions chopped
2 celery sticks trimmed and thinly sliced
3 medium carrots peeled and thickly sliced
500ml pale ale
1/2 beef stock cube
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
1 bay leaf
Splash worcestershire sauce
2 medium leeks trimmed and cut into slices
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
fresh chopped parsley to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the sausages for 8-10 minutes until nicely browned all over. Transfer the sausages to a large flameproof casserole or your biggest saucepan.
2. Add the onions, celery and carrots to the frying pan and cook for five minutes or until beginning to soften and lightly colour. Add the vegetables into the pan with the sausages.
3. Pour the ale and 150ml water into the casserole and crumble the stock cube over the top. Stir in the tomato purée, sugar, bay leaf and a splash of Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the leeks to the casserole and simmer uncovered for five minutes. Mix the cornflour with a tablespoon of cold water until smooth. Stir into the casserole and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly until the sauce has thickened.
5. Remove the pan from the heat, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle the chopped parsley over.